The Marietta Fire Department was officially formed in 1854 following a massive fire which destroyed most of the Marietta Square. In the mid 1800’s Marietta citizens relied on volunteer bucket brigades to pass water hand to hand from a water source to the fire as their only form of fire protection. In 1879 The Marietta Fire Department purchased a Silsby horse drawn steamer which was named the “Aurora“. The “Aurora” is one of only 5 Silsby steamer’s still in existence and it is proudly displayed in the Marietta Fire Museum. In 1921 the Marietta Fire Department accepted delivery of a new American LaFrance pumper. It was one of the first motorized fire trucks in the north Georgia area and it is currently on display in the Marietta Fire Museum.